The 8200ST provides transparent gain riding, adjustable compression, high-frequency limiting and absolute peak control. Applications include STL protection, studio level control and budget FM processing. A variable density control which can be used for inconspicuous gain riding, to increase punch and density for a louder sound, or to create any desired effect in between. The high-frequency limiter is adjustable for all standard pre-emphasis curves.
- GAIN REDUCTION over a 25dB range is adjustable from slow, easy AGC to high density compression for a punchier more consistent sound.
- VOICE mode activates a second level controller that accelerates overshoot protection for better control of voice dynamics.
- HF LIMITER, adjustable from OFF to 150µs, ensures that peak output signal is controlled to match the pre-emphasis of the link or recording medium.
Call us today to book a two week trial unit at no charge to you!!!!
- ALIGNMENT TONE GENERATOR is useful during system setup to calibrate the 8200ST to the device being driven and the OPTIMOD at the transmitter.
- PEAK CONTROLLER prevents peak overmodulation of the link.
- STEREO or MONO; For stereo, gain control can be coupled to preserve a balanced stereo image or uncoupled to correct poorly balanced stereo programs.
- ADVANCED METERING; The precision dual LED MODULATION metering provides true peak-reading capability, capturing pulse durations of as little as 10µs with a typical accuracy of 0.05dB. The dual GAIN REDUCTION meters accurately display up to 25dB of gain reduction in each channel.
(20Hz-20kHz): ±0.25dB below leveler, compressor and high-frequency limiter thresholds.
Better than -74dB at 15kHz, improving below 15kHz.
Noise at Output:
>10k ohms active-balanced, EMI-suppressed.
Usable with -10dBu to +8dBu average level lines. Maximum peak input level +27dBu. (0dBu=0.775VRMS; for this application, the dBm @ 600 ohms scale on voltmeters can be read as if calibrated in dBu.)
30 ohms electronically-balanced and floating to simulate true transformer output. Minimum load impedance is 600 ohms. Output can be unbalanced by grounding pin 2 or 3 of output XLR.
Front panel adjustable for 100% peak output level up to +24dBu.
Approximately 200ms (VOICEmode OFF), 5ms (VOICEmode ON); program-dependent.
Adjustable between approximately 1dB/sec; program-dependent. Rate declines exponentially when less than 10dB gain reduction occurs.
>20:1 (static); program-dependent (dynamics).
Range of Gain Reduction:
±0.5dB (with COUPLE button set ON).
Total Harmonic Distortion (100% Modulation):
<0.05% at 1kHz (with RELEASE control centered and 15dB gain reduction). Typically <0.1% at 20Hz, <0.03% from 100Hz-2kHz, 0.05% from 2-10kHz and <0.1% from 10-20kHz.
SMPTE Intermodulation Distortion:
<0.05% (60Hz/7kHz 4:1 with 15dB gain reduction).
Gain Reduction Element:
Five switch-selectable 6dB/octave pre-emphasis curves: 25 microseconds, 50 microseconds 75 microseconds, 100 microseconds and 150 microseconds. Can be strapped for flat or pre-emphasized output.
The high-frequency limiting threshold and attack time have been set so that no audible distortion is produced with dynamic program material that has been processed by the leveler/compressor and peak controller. Because these settings have taken into account the peak-to-average ratio of the level compressor’s output, it is not possible to specify the high-frequency limiter’s response to test tones with simple, meaningful numbers.
Total Harmonic Distortion:
The high-frequency limiter/clipper will add no more than 0.02% THD to sine wave test tones that have been processed by the leveler/compressor.
Approximately 30ms, program-dependent.
Interchannel Coupling: Each channel’s high-frequency limiter operates independently at all times. (The use of fast release times precludes disturbances of the stereo image’s stability.)
Gain Reduction Element:
HF Limiting Curve:
Peak Control Element:
Soft clipping diodes. The 8200ST’s level controller and high-frequency limiter circuitry control average level sufficiently below the threshold of peak control to prevent audible distortion in the clipping process.
Momentary with power-failure keep-alive feature to preserve COUPLE and VOICE logic settings (Unit always powers up with TONEOFF and AGC ON.)
Four 10-segment LED bargraph displays show gain reduction and modulation level for each channel.
Two LEDs show operation of gating or high frequency limiting. Other indicators (e.g., COUPLE) light when their respective buttons are enabled (ON).
115/230 volts AC ±10%, 50-60Hz, 16VA. IEC-standard detachable mains cord. EMI-suppressed.
1/2 -amp 3AG 250V Slow-Blow for 115V operation; 1/4-amp “T”-type (250mA) Slow-Blow for 230V operation.
Requires 1 unit (1.75″/4.5cm) of vertical space in an EIA 19″/48.3cm rack. Depth is 9.625″/24.5cm.
Operating Temperature Range:
32-113 degrees F (0-45 degrees C).
One year, parts and labor. Subject to the limitations set forth in Orban’s Standard Warranty Agreement